Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Fateful Brush with Ms. Taylor


I believe it was 1978 the only time I have ever attended the Kentucky Derby, the race was over and the crowd of people were streaming towards the exits. It had been a long day, none of my horses had won and I was tired from a day of partying in the sun on the infield with thousands of crazed people. I was separated from my group and the police were directing traffic out of the inside part of the racetrack. A tan colored Cadillac was being moved through and someone said it was Elizabeth Taylor and there she was sitting in the back seat smiling and waving (that is her shadow in the middle with I think the governor at the time). I stood there next to the car and waved yelling, "I love you Elizabeth!" I then stepped in front of her vehicle and I took a picture. After this moment of fate I ran back to where our motor home was parked in a yard behind Churchill Downs and kept yelling to everyone, "I just saw Elizabeth Taylor". It gave me a second wind for the rest of the night and what a story I had to add to my trip to the Kentucky Derby.

Bless her beautiful soul, may she rest in peace.

No comments: