Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rain Droppin Name Dropper Day


Hey Ho last Day of April and Spring is bringing down the rains on the plains around us. Grass is growing crazy green and the blooms and buds are a happenin. My Dad says he reads with interest all the places Mary and I seem to go and people we see so I write this with him in mind.
He just turned 78 in April and looking pretty darn good.
I talked about the computer crashing and getting a new laptop, well now I have worked some of the new features in our tech arsenal. Sister Jeanne and daughter Ashley kept saying you have to get "wireless", "can't believe you don't have it". Well after spending over 2 hours on telephone with a service tech from the Linksys router guys we are hooked up 'wireless'. It only cost $10.00 compared to $100+ if Comcast did it. It is nice to stay upstairs and check out email, etc. Callie really appreciates it as it makes her Facebook "work" much easier and warmer. I also got the 'old" PC fixed so we have options for photo storage, etc. The new PC has many applications I am just learning about; like laser writing on CD's, webcam, and video making.
I also got a new cell phone as my contract was up and we needed Bluetooth to get the hands free working in our sync equipped vehicle. So that is kind of cool having a call come in and just pressing a button on the steering wheel and you're talking with someone, 'Hands free", so yes, the marvels of technology continue to complicate our lives and add more stuff to do.
Got a new cool SureThing label maker from Melvis too that we are doing the Surf Song labels with.
We have had 2 weeks of golf league already now. First week was pretty nippy, last night a tad warmer. First week I won the skin pot all by self-$38 with a birdie. Improved on strokes last night by five shots over first week.
Last weekend I did my first community volunteering event for Loaves and Fishes down at the Rave theater. It was during the movie The Soloist and it was both a fundraiser and canned food collection spot. We gave away totes with KSO CD's along with information on the program and hunger, etc. Their was a cellist from the Kalamazoo Symphony playing music from the movie the whole time with a hat out for donations. We did quite well and I enjoyed the time I spent with Maya, my co-volunteer at the time. Thanks to all those that donated. Looking forward to the postal workers fund drive next weekend sorting food after it is collected.
Last Friday, Mary and I met up with Mike and Susan at MiRanchito for dinner before we went to see Dave Alvin perform at KVCC. It was old pal's Dave Posther's ( organizes) last show of the season there. Lots of good guitar playing and good song writing of the Bakersfield, California Americana folk sound.
Then Saturday night we went Ms. Munger's PHD party down at the Kalamazoo Radission. Greta and Sarah were gracious hosts providing music, wine, beer and chow for their family and friends. I even had fun as I took the musical bag of tricks and my djembe to jam along with the guys playing tunes. Congrats again Greta on your accomplishment! I also got to see several of my 'ole" work colleagues whom I miss seeing.
So, that takes me up to last day of April and tomorrow May Day and Derby Day on Saturday.
May has historically been one of the busiest times of the year for us and most others. We have Ashley's birthday, Mothers Day, our Wedding Anniversary, gardening, etc. going on. Just no end of year school related activities for me this year but Mary will have some I am sure.
Enjoy your Spring and I will return soon with What's Happening up in here 'round Reno's World.

No comments: