Wednesday, September 16, 2009

that was the Wheatland that was.......




I had said I wasn't going to go to the Wheatland Music Festival this year. Last year was a so-so experience and I was ready for a break after 8 years or so. That was until friend Susan asked if I would like to join her and Dana again on the Kids Stage to accompany her in her show. I had enjoyed some of the groups performing this year on previous occasions so I said yes, why not. After all the travel plans were worked out I was riding up early on Thursday with Michael, Susan, and their son Nathan as we pulled the Palamazoo trailer behind us. Performers can get in early which makes for getting prime camping spots. Mary would come up later on Friday bringing most of our stuff. I would take the tent for my first night solo sleeping. Thursday night before the festival is special and unique. You have this "place to ourselves" feeling like when you are in a huge house you don't often get to stay at. I took some before shots without any of the cars, tents and campers set up and later would take some after or during shots showing the difference. There is a special pot luck for Kids Hill performers like us Thursday night and there is jamming and some chow to consume. Last year it rained and was confined, this year it was great weather and the music was outside, and the kids got to explore the stuff on kids hill. Sister Suzanne, Lily and Little Kim got to come and participate. It was Suze's first time to get in on a Thursday, thanks to cousin Sharon's generosity of the parking pass. She got prime location in DeDannon and got to hang out in the Performers Area. WHoa!! Well, Thursday ended in the usual mellow prefest fun mode, I think I was hugging a shower bladder at the end of the night. Missed my woman((. Ask Mick and he will tell you all about it I am sure. Trick and Peggy joined us Friday as the spaces began filling up after the land rush of campers came pouring in through the gates. Mary was soon to follow. Coming down Pierce Road to the front gates is a special thing with the familiar sights and smells of festival and the farmlands all around. You get a twinge of excitement ever year as you head to the area you want to set up at. From here I will just say that the rest of the weekend was full of sweet weather, great music, jamming, dancing, many laughs, some special moments with family and friends, and our two shows with Susan and the Palamazoo crew went off successfully. Some of the performers that stuck out were Ruthie Foster, Deliah DeWylde and the Lost Boys, The Wilders, DeTamps Antan, The Radiators and many more that filled in the musical cornucopia that is Wheatland. Yes, this turned out to be one of the top 3 that I have attended in the last 8-9 years. I am glad I decided to go and thank Susan, Mary and friends for encouraging me to do so. See ya next year???

2 comments:

aks said...

glad you all had fun. you're all so colorful in your tie-dye. molly b and her parents went, too!

Unknown said...

We will definately be at Wheatland 2010!!! We already have a menu plan! Also, our group is stil growing. Hope to see Y'all there.:)