Friday, February 5, 2010

They Say You Can't Go Home




There is truth is the sentiment from Thomas Wolfe's book, Look Homeward Angel that
" you can't go home again" but most of us do go back home at some point for a visit or to stay but it never is the same. Here is a word collage of my last 3 days of a road trip through time and space to my hometown>

getting fuel -the trumpeters swan swoop in and serenade-hawks look out and fly with me along the corridor of 94-mother awaits my home outgrown-hugs and off we go to the assisted living aging places-nobody really wants to but sometimes it's best-a place to rest-my step dad sad-my friends mom not too happy-there is good will lost and found there-dinner for two, just mother and son we talk about what must be done-back home it is to a quiet night big screen visions feeling right-


breakfast for two-instant coffee will do- I am off for research on the story that's due plus a walk in a park that was once was something new-i find some Buschemi's slices nearby-I meet up with mom she's got supplies in the trunk-brother and Jo and coming over to eat-mama cooks while i pour the wine-reminisce converse with chocolates over time-some surprise reveals then hugs and kisses good night-off in the morning with the Detroit soul after mom read me poems written years ago-more hawks overhead on 1-94 watching me leave closing the door-on a fast trip filled with good stuff-the kind that works without much cleaning up-you can go home searching the past-you end up creating more from things made to last*


No comments: